About the Temple:
Teli ka Mandir is an ancient temple which is located on the premises of the Gwalior Fort. The temple is consecrated to Lord Vishnu in his Garuda form. It is the loftiest and the oldest surviving structure within the Gwalior fort. The colossal image of 'Garuda' is the major attraction of Teli Ka Mandir which make the circlet of the doorway one of the highest structures in the Gwalior Fort. Teli Ka Mandir is very popular for its splendid architecture. Teli ka mandir stands 100 ft tall which makes it the tallest and most stunning temple in the confines of the Gwalior Fort.
The temple history dates back to the 8th and 11th centuries AD. Teli ka Mandir was built in 850 AD during the sovereignty of the Pratihara king Mihira Bhoja. The Britishers used this temple as a soda factory following the Revolt of 1857. The temple was renovated and reconstructed between 1881 and 1883 by Major Keith, an officer of the Royal Scots Regiment stationed in Gwalior.
Teli ka Mandir combines the Nagara, Buddhist and Dravida styles of architecture. The temple has a rectangular plan mounted by a barrel vault. The temple can be reached through a flight of stairs which leads to a doorway containing images of river goddesses and attendants. The doorway leads to the sanctum sanctorum. There is a decorative sculpture of Garuda at the entrance to the temple. The outer walls of the temple have been extensively carved with several beautiful images of Hindu gods and goddesses.
There are many legends associated with the name of this temple.
According to a story, this temple was constructed with the help of the donation from members of Teli community during the reign of the Pratihara king Mihirabhoja . Hence, the temple was known as Teli ka mandir.
The second story says that this temple was built by the princes from Telangana (a region in South India) and hence the temple acquired its name.
According to the third version, the term "Teli Ka Mandir" is derived from the Telang Brahmins who were managing the overall religious ceremonies and rituals after the fort was captured by the King Rashtrakuta in the 8th century.
Another tale states that this temple could be connected to the ‘Telangana’ region of Andhra Pradesh due to its Dravidian style of architecture influence.
How to reach:
By Road: The place is well connected with all the major cities and towns of Madhya Pradesh by road. Buses, taxis and local cabs are available to reach the temple.
By Train: Gwalior is the nearest railway station.
By Air: The nearest airport is Maharajpur air force base airport at Gwalior which is 10 km away from the temple.