Satyanarayan Katha is a puja ceremony which is usually performed on Purnima of each month or before or after any auspicious occasion such as Marriage, House inauguration, Child Birth etc. It can also be performed after achieving great success and to remove the vested trouble. Satyanarayana is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu and believed that by offering puja to him will make goddess Lakshmi, his wife happy. Satyanarayan is a calmer incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He represents justice and truth.
Satyanarayan Puja Ritual:
1. Take a holy bath. Observe a fast.
2. Prepare a Mandapa with a canopy of Banana leaves and place the idols of Lord Ganesh and Satyanarayan.
3. Fill a copper pitcher with water, cover it using five leaves and place a coconut over it. Decorated the pitcher with a Swastika using
4. Offer Semolina Halwa or Wheat flour Choorma as Prasad to Lord Satyanarayana.
5. Perform Ganesh puja followed by Satyanarayan puja ritual along with mantra and aarti.
6. Recite all 271 verses of the Satyanarayan Katha.
7. Havan or fire ritual.
Satnarayan puja begins with Ganesh puja and mantra enchanting followed by offering him his favourite Wheat flour ‘ Laddu’. Next is Nav-Graha puja [puja of Nine Planets] and Vishnu puja. Place the idol on the raised platform, on a red colour cloth. Offer rose petals and fruits. Listen to the story of ‘Satyanarayan Bhagwan’.
After listening to the story of Lord SatyaNarayan, the havan ceremony begins. Place the Havan Kund and four pieces of Kusha grass on the four corners of Havan Kund along with some sand so that the ghee when added won't spill out of the Kund. Lit the camphor pieces to ignite the fire and place it in the Havan Kund along with some wood and chant the mantra. Apologize for any mistakes committed during the puja ceremony. For Purna-Ahuti, place the remaining of the ingredients on a betel leaf, a betel nut, a few drops of ghee into the fire and chant
Om Poornaa-darvi paraapata supoornaa punaraapata.
Vasna neva vikree-naa-vahaa isha-moorja gvam shata-krato swaahaa.
After Purna Ahuti, perform Satyanarayan Aarti. Once this is completed, ask forgiveness from Lord Narayana and all the Goddess and God for any mistakes which might be committed during the puja and havan. Request Lord Vishnu to return to his abode. Chant the Maha Mantra once to end.
Shlok and Mantra
“Om shree satyanarayana bhagavan aavaahayaamee sthapayamee”
“Om swagatam su swagatam - Om shree satyanarayana bhagavan namah"
Benefits and Significance of Satyanarayan Katha and Havan
Satyanarayana puja is an ideal path to offer requests to Lord Vishnu. Satyanarayan Katha’ preaches about self-purification, self –surrender and truth. ‘Satya’ meaning Truth and Narayan is another name of Lord Vishnu. Anyone who listens to the Katha will get inspire of speaking truth. Satyanarayan puja helps in attaining the thriving.
1. It helps to achieve success and goals
2. It helps to improve mental and physical health drastically
3. It offers material life and increases prosperity.
4. All sins are removed by the worshipping Lord Satyanarayan.