OverviewVasant Panchami is celebrated in the honour of Goddess Saraswati on the fifth day of the spring season. It also marks the beginning of spring. She is also known as Goddess of learning or the symbol of supreme knowledge. The four arms of Goddess Saraswati represent intellect, mind, ego and agility. She is depicted sitting on a white Lotus, playing the Veena. Her mount Swan signifies the purity. Vasant Panchami is also popularly known as ‘Shri Panchami’ or ‘Saraswati Panchami’. Devotees worship Devi Saraswati, the Goddess of wisdom, knowledge, arts and music, with great devotion and fervour.
Vasant Panchami Puja RitualVasant Panchami is celebrated on the fifth day of the bright fortnight of ‘Magha’ month of Hindu calendar.
1. Wear yellow clothes.
2. Place an idol of Devi Saraswati on a raised platform. Also keep books, laptops and study material next to the idol. Worship Goddess
Saraswati to get wisdom and knowledge.
3. Decorate the puja room and offer white clothes and yellow flowers to Devi Saraswati.
4. Lit a lamp. Pray to Lord Ganesh first.
5. Perform Nav Upchar puja with rice grain, earthen lamp, flowers, sandalwood and dhoop.
6. Chant Saraswati Vandana while worshipping.
7. Offer yellow coloured rice or Halwa as Bhog.
8. Recite Saraswati Aarti and Saraswati Chalisa along with mantra.
9. Another popular ritual of Vasant Panchami is Akshar-Abhyasam or Vidya-Arambham/Praasana. This is the day when young kids begintheir study.
Shlokas and Mantra:
Ya Devi Stuyate Nityam Vibhuhairvedaparagaih Same Vasatu Jihvagre Brahmarupa Saraswati||
Saraswati Puja Mantra
Om Shri Saraswati-ya Namaha llOm Aim Hrim Kleem Maha Saraswati Devaya Namaha ll
Benefits and Significance of Vasant Panchami PujaGoddess Saraswati is the consort of Lord Brahma who evoked her to remove the silence from the universe. According to holy scriptures, Goddess Saraswati was born on the auspicious day of Vasant Panchami. Goddess Saraswati gave the speech to human beings so that they can communicate. Goddess Saraswati is worshipped to obtain knowledge, wisdom and to get rid of dullness, dumbness and lethargy. When young kids begin to write the first letter, it is known as Akshar-Abhyasam or Vidya-Arambham. Vasant Panchami is an auspicious day, to begin with, Vidya Arambham. Vasant Panchami pooja brings wisdom and knowledge. Devotees who worship Goddess Saraswati with pure devotion may receive her blessings in form of knowledge and intelligence. Goddess Saraswati is worshipped to obtain the creative thinking. According to the scripture, Vasant Panchami is also known as ‘Abhuja’, meaning it is an auspicious day for beginning the work. The festival of Vasant Panchami has spiritual, seasonal, religious and social significance. Hence, it is celebrated with optimism and devotion. It improves the understanding power and memory, leads us to the eternal truth of life. Vasant Panchami puja is performed to enhance knowledge and concentration in studies. Vasant Panchami puja consults insight and wisdom amidst devotees helps the mind to attend peace and power, makes the intellect stronger and intense, helps to accelerate learning and motivation.